Monday, June 05, 2006

Eight More Years!

Warning: I'm going to say some incendiary things in this post. I'm not threatening to commit the acts I describe; I am merely saying that someone SHOULD be committing them. If you don't like what I have to say, change the fucking channel, moron.

Now. On to the show.

I think George W. Bush should be president for eight more years.

Let me allow that to sink in before I continue.

Eight. More. Years.

Yes.

Why, you may ask? Why do I, I hardcore Bush hater, want him in office for eight more years?

Simply put, because the opposition to those like him isn't angry enough. Not yet.

I watched "The Henry Rollins Show" on IFC this weekend. On it, Henry and Patton Oswalt had a great conversation about the reaction of the American voting public to Bush. The conclusion that Patton has come to is this: we, as a people, sort of think it's amazing that an idiot like Dubya could have come this far. And when he and his cronies lie about, oh, EVERYTHING, we sort of admire them for their moxie. It's like a cute Labrador puppy who keeps doing the exact same bad thing, no matter how many times his nose is rubbed in it, no matter how many times you yell at him, no matter how many times you swat his nose...he still keeps going back and repeating the same bad act. Dubya is like that puppy. Stupid, but sort of cute the way he looks all tail-waggy and sad when he's caught with his nose in the cat litter for the tenth time.

When I say the opposition isn't angry enough; I don't mean the far left. They've been angry enough since 1998, when he first started his exploratory committee. I mean moderate democrats. I mean moderate republicans. I mean libertarians.

The fake war on terror was bad. The climbing national debt and corporate welfare was worse. The immigration "debate" is awful. Now, despite no chance of it actually passing, a new constitutional amendment banning gay marriage is being put forth.

To be asked to swallow yet another jagged little pill from this White House, from this Congress, is too much. There should be riots in the streets. The US capitol dome and the White House should be aflame. There should be military troops fighting a futile holding action against a new American revolution.

But there isn't. We are sheep. Baaaaaaaaaaaaa. We only fight when our own personal interest is threatened. Usually our money, but also our snacks.

Imagine if a constitutional amendment banning an unmarried couple (of any sex) from living in the same house was put forth.
They are already trying this in small measures in Missouri. Or imagine an amendment saying that you could not marry outside your ethnicity. Might that get the attention of a bored and slightly amused electorate?

Nope. What would, you ask? Simple. An amendment banning television. THEN we'd have ourselves a revolution. I'd be right up front, too. I gots to have my TEEVEE.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post. As they say, "We the Sheeple..." On a not unrelated note, you might be interested in watching The Human Behavior Experiments on Sundance.

Monday, June 05, 2006 11:48:00 AM  
Blogger Alex said...

Sounds good; I'll check it out. I've been doing more and more of my own human behavior experiments, inspired by Danny's (one of my younger brothers) friend Cosmo. Example: I walk into a bathroom with five urinals on the wall. All of the urinals are occupied, so I slide up next to a fella and share his urinal. He looks at me oddly, and I smile. He does nothing, but finishes QUICKLY.

It's even more fun to do the same thing when there ARE empty urinals, and I STILL share a urinal with a very confused guy. He says “What are you doing?” I reply “Peeing.” Hee. Sometimes I like being scary looking.

Monday, June 05, 2006 12:06:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home